Monday, March 27, 2017

memory lane


In the 1970s, I was in the Cub Scouts. One of the annual traditions was the Pinewood Derby, and I remember making a car one year. It was a complete disaster, and I think the wheels fell off, but it was a fun disaster. Every boy had his own idea about how to make the car, what shape it should be, what weights to put in it and how to decorate it.


There was a kit with a block of wood, plastic wheels, nails for axels, and some instructions. Now there's a wikipedia page and a web site! I really could've used that. My car was barely carved, had no weights in it, the wheels were not put on the right way, it was painted metallic blue, and I glued on a piece of pyrite, "fool's gold" as a big, honkin' hood ornament. Truly the thing looked ridiculous, and it probably went in the trash at some point. I remember the winning car, too. It medium light blue and was shaped like a pointy teardrop, looked professionally made. When I saw it, I realized some kids had grown-ups helping them, and that was OK, I guess. I was happier making my own car, even if the wheels fell off before it could reach the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment