Tuesday, March 21, 2017

frame fix: before/after


A long time ago I worked as a picture framer. One year, I even asked for a Fletcher FrameMaster framer's point gun for Christmas, and I still have it!



No other tool like it, but I didn't need it for this project. I found two delightful 1930s crayon drawings in ready-made frames, the kind with the bending staple/prongs on the back. The thing I wanted to change was the color of the frames. I mean...who would put white frames on those drawings? It was ghastly!


So I went out to the art supply store and got some paint. I thought a bright reddish orange with a slightly antiqued finish would work, so that's what I did.


I like how they turned out, and it'll be a lot harder to sell them now. The pair of lovely little crayon drawings will be available April 1st in booth C-1 at Antique Alley on NE 42nd in Portland. For more information and hours, click here.

1 comment:

  1. If you think those original frames were bad you should have seen the ones we had put on chalk portraits of my Dh and myself we had done at Jackson Square in NOLA. We had gold detailed carve frames...why? who knows???

    ReplyDelete