Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Accidental Tikis


Accidental Tikis inspired by an art deco tile
On Saturday, I took a Block Printing on Fabric workshop with Valori Wells, and it was superb! The workshop was hosted by Portland Modern Quilt Guild at Dishman Community Center in Portland.

a sample of the mess I made in class, experimenting
Admittedly, I was kind of a disaster in class and was messing up everything I did, so I stopped a little early and spent the last hour or so looking at what everyone else was doing. There was some really great work!

Sam Hunter's print
Kristin LaFlamme's print
Petra Anderson's print
Elizabeth Hartman's print
It's probably a good thing I didn't excel in class. I went home wanting to do more. So, I did.


The design was directly inspired by an art deco tile. I had to modify it since my carving skills are a little rusty. I did it many years ago in college, but that was almost 30 years ago. Things have changed.


Upon returning home, I started drawing on the two pieces of leftover tracing paper. On Monday, I went to the art supply shop, got a few things, and tried them out this morning.


It's a lot of fun, and I have some space in my garage where I'm thinking of setting up a little area dedicated to block printing. That's saying something, considering I don't really have a space in my home dedicated to sewing but have made a few quilts.


Maybe I should set up the machine in the garage, too! A big thank you to Valori Wells, an excellent teacher! If you ever have an opportunity to take a class with Valori, I highly recommend it!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Love that you are "into" block printing and planning a space for it. I almost fell out of my chair reading those words! I like the design you are about to make. Please show us more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look like it would be a fun class. Those prints are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your design - it makes an interesting print! I hope you make space in your shop to do this. What kind of inks are you using?

    ReplyDelete