Friday, January 22, 2016

"Kalakoa, In Search of the Hawaiian Scrap Quilt" in Blanket Statements


It is not easy to jump back and forth between journalism and academic writing. They are almost like two different languages; one we see everyday in the news, and another we may not see as often, when looking at research. I got some practice with academic writing recently, publishing a research article in the American Quilt Study Group (AQSG) newsletter, Blanket Statements.



The article is called "Kalakoa, In Search of the Hawaiian Scrap Quilt" and it is my second article for AQSG. My first, "Collecting Polyester Quilts" appeared last year. The newsletter is available to members of AQSG. It is one of the primary member benefits, along with the annual "Uncoverings" journal featuring research papers.


It took some convincing to get me to write an academic article. Mary Juillet-Paonessa of CT Quilt Works, then Editor of Blanket Statements, was most encouraging with the first article on polyester. She asked me to do it. Mary was putting a muslin backing on my tile block quilt top from Louisiana. It piqued her interest, and I think my collecting activity caught her attention.


Mary guided me through the process of academic writing, and while we were working on the article, she began to transition duties to Jill Wilson, who is now editor. It is always a delight to work with Mary and Jill.



Both of the articles represent new research, which is partly how the newsletter serves the membership-- by publishing new research or research in progress. I am happy to contribute, and it is an honor to appear on the front page with a lead article again. Thank you, AQSG, and special thanks to Mary and Jill, for their encouragement and guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment