Tuesday, August 25, 2015

"I pledge allegiance to the flag..."


In 1971, I was in kindergarten at the Gould Elementary School in North Caldwell, New Jersey, and each school day began the same way. We all stood, right hands over our hearts, looking at the American Flag above the chalkboard, and we recited the Pledge of Allegiance in unison.


We learned about historical figures such as Benjamin Franklin, Abraham Lincoln and Betsy Ross. The significance of the American Flag was clear from the beginning. We were proud to be Americans and we looked forward to the Bicentennial in 1976.


American flag quilts are highly coveted objects in the world of antique quilts. This 13-star American Flag quilt was most likely made around 1976, so it is barely vintage; but I was still surprised nobody else really wanted it when it appeared on eBay a few years ago. There were a few bids, but the final price was only nine dollars. Shipping from Florida cost more than the quilt.


I guess that's how far off the radar 1970s quilts were when I first started collecting them. As time passes and 1970s quilts become more collectible, this quilt's stock will rise. It is machine pieced, hand appliquéd and hand quilted. It is 66" x 77" and is surrounded by a prairie point edge finish. It also includes bright red and blue colors-- not the exact same colors used in actual American flags, but they were popular at the time.


"Modern Materials, Quilts of the 1970s" is now on display at the Benton County Museum in Philomath, Oregon. For more information about the exhibition, location, hours,  and other venues showing quilts during Quilt County 2015, click here.

8 comments:

  1. I love that quilt you found on eBay. For only $9? That's incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a few boys in your K class. That picture is a step back in time as well as the quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you second from the left in the first row? Oh, and I like this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Third from the left in the back row, blonde hair, striped shirt and smirking. :)

      Delete
  4. Knowing what it takes to create a quilt, it seems so sad to me that someone just gave this treasure up for such a small sum, but I'm glad it fell into the hands of someone who appreciates it! (Based on the fact you were a Kinder in '71, you will be having a big celebration of your own sometime soon, won't you Bill?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder what my flag quilt will sell for someday? I made it 3 or 4 years ago, but with a twist. I would be happy to show it to you but I can't find your email address. I am the why quilts matter to rock stars lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Class pictures used to be so cool, just one more thing that is to standardized now. Your class picture almost reminds me of a quilt in and of itself. Love it and the quilt

    ReplyDelete