Thursday, November 7, 2013

Peddie Blair Weekend



The Peddie School is an independent boarding and day school in New Jersey, midway between New York and Philadelphia. The school was founded in 1864, and Peddie maintains the oldest football rivalry in the state of New Jersey, the annual showdown with Blair Academy, which has gone on since 1903!! My father went to Peddie, played football, graduated in 1946. I also went to Peddie, didn't play football, but swam, and graduated in 1984. We were both boarding students.

This weekend is the big game. I won't be there unfortunately, but can still cheer from the west coast. Apparently there are three trophies at stake, the Potter-Kelly Cup won by the school with the most athletic victories in the fall sports between the two schools; the Middle Atlantic Prep League (MAPL) title, known as the MAPLE Cup; and the prep A state championship! Three trophies could be earned if the Falcons pull out the victory.

Since I live in Portland, I don't get back to the school as often as I once did, but I hold a very special, related object. The 1946 class ring (above) belonged to my father. When I was about to graduate, he gave it to me with my initials engraved inside along with his. An amazing gift, and I'm not talking specifically about the ring. The gift was the experience, and how it connected me with Dad.


I'll be wearing the ring this weekend for good luck. Go Peddie! Ala Viva!!

No comments:

Post a Comment