Thursday, October 11, 2012

As Seen On Facebook

The "Quilts-Vintage and Antique" page on Facebook is a great place to see eye candy, but it's also an unofficial meeting place for buyers and sellers of quilts. Since the page wasn't set up for trade or commerce, the art of the subtle suggestion is most appropriate. You may hear things like "looking for a home" or "available" or even "I'm not sure what I'll do with this quilt".


Those who overtly post eBay listings aren't usually very lucky. It really has to be more about the quilt. I've bought and sold several quilts, with the assist from a subtle suggestion in a Facebook post. If I'm selling something, I'll try to get a really good picture of it. Then, I'll post the picture. Often I will wait 'til someone else comments, and then let it slip that it's looking for a new home. The occasional "wow" picture with a hint of "available" is really all that's needed to connect a seller with a buyer. 


That's exactly what happened with this fabulous double-knit polyester crazy quilt. Julie Silber posted the picture to the "Quilts-Vintage and Antique" page, mentioning that it was for the inventory. That's all I needed to hear. The commentary began right away, and there were many comments...lots of oohs and ahhs. While that was all going on, Julie and I were privately arranging for me to buy the quilt. 


It was waiting on my doorstep when I got back from Nebraska. We had arranged to ship it a little later so it wouldn't be sitting around long, and I had my mail held and all delivered the day I got home. Julie sent it on approval because I wanted to see the back and make sure it could be sleeved for exhibit. But I was sure I wanted it, and luckily, the back will work just fine for sewing on a sleeve.


We thought it might be an edge-finished top, but it's actually finished. It was constructed with raw-edge applique, using double-knit polyester, tweed, and other wool knits, zigzag stitched to the ground, which also serves as the back and binding. It has no batting, so it's really a summer spread. And yes, it's a keeper!

8 comments:

  1. Polyester and wool summer spread...maybe up North!

    Very graphic quilt...love the back. The back reminds me of looking down at fields when flying over the midwest.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quilt police need to come up with another term. How about "two-layer spread"?

      Delete
  2. Polyester on backing - summer spread - that would be so hot even in the winter... eye just caught prior comment - great minds think alike YankeeQuilter!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quilt!....the machine zig-zag stitch construction is brilliant

    I am afraid of facebook!....I think I already spend more time than I should on the computer rather than quilting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leave it to the quilt people to make good, purposeful use of Facebook. The Quilts-Vintage and Antique page is a must for anyone who loves quilts. It is absolutely the finest online interactive quilt think tank. It's full of eye candy, intriguing discussions, news, and virtual quilt displays. I also think they'd be very interested in what you're doing with your hand quilting. Many dealers, authors, historians, quiltmakers, connoisseurs are part of the group. Join us!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous quilt!! So glad it's got a good home. Hoping to see it "in person" someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful quilt - excellent one for your collection.

    ReplyDelete