Wednesday, September 12, 2012

1970s Polyester Shoo Fly


Here's a new one. I don't believe I've ever owned a Shoo Fly quilt before, but this one is so full of joy, I couldn't possibly resist. This 100% double-knit polyester quilt came from an eBay seller in Florida, and my winning bid was $15.50. Not bad for something that took many hours to make and will probably last forever, with colors as bright as the day it was first made.




One of the things I love about this quilt is it is finished with actual quilting, and not ties. As much as I love the tied quilts, quilting prevents any possibility of sagging when the quilt is displayed on a wall. I'm sure it's the last thing that crossed the minds of the person who made this quilt. Who ever would've imagined some guy coming along, calling it art, and displaying it in a museum?


So many of the polyester quilts from the 70s have a childlike sense of whimsy. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them were made for children. They don't seem like objects made for grown-ups, but they would've fit in nicely with children's bedroom decor. I know, because I was a child in the 1970s. No wonder I'm drawn to these quilts. I didn't come from a family of quiltmakers, and these quilts are all new to me, but they transport me back to my childhood. I believe that's what great art should do- transport viewers to another time and place. That's why I say, "This is Art!" 

9 comments:

  1. I love the yellow stripes and those two crazy red ones with the patterned white background! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love the variety, and how the color values and intensity shifts. There is much more color theory behind the quilts of the 70s than in those of other eras.

      Delete
  2. You sure do get some great deals! Glad Im not the only eBay nut!!
    this one is great....I love that it is quilted, and I like to think that it was made for a kids room...a gift from grandma...that thought makes me happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looking at this quilt, does it in any way look like a grown-up's quilt? Don't get me wrong, the colors are very sophisticated, and are doing a lot of different things in the quilt. But wouldn't an adult's bedroom be much more color-coordinated? I'm just thinking of the differences between my bedroom as a kid, and my parents' bedroom. Theirs was like a hotel room after maid service came through. Mine was more like this Shoo Fly quilt. :)

      Delete
  3. I think this was definitely a child's quilt, and I bet the poly quilts were warm as toast on a cold night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is beautiful! I think you're right about so many of the poly quilts being made for children. My grandmother hand sewed both my younger sister and I a scrappy poly quilt back in the early 70's. We used them until they were ragged.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous quilt you have made here. Its quite unique and the pattern is really pretty.
    health club marketing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill, all you need for your quilt lectures: a green polyester, double-knit suit.
    I dare you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My granny Ida made many quilts from polyester. Her favorite 2 patterns to use them for were the appliqued Umbrella Doll and the Texas Rose, as she called it. She made many Churn Dash and Bowtie quilts from polyester as well. They will be here forever.

    ReplyDelete