Saturday, July 21, 2012

Portland Modern Quilt Guild Picnic in Laurelhurst Park

Laurelhurst Park was a beautiful setting for the picnic
Thursday night was the annual picnic of the Portland Modern Quilt Guild, held in Laurelhurst Park, Portland. The weather held out, and it was a nice gathering of this curious group of quilters. I'm now a member of the guild, and one thing that's intrigued me about "modern quilting" is how well the quilts relate to modern decor as artistic yet functional objects. These quilts seem to pay homage to tradition in new ways.



I invited another new member, Gretchen, who also knows my friend Mary Bywater Cross, to sit with me on my large "Y2K" swimming T-shirt quilt, and we were soon joined by musician and quilter extraordinare, Bill Crane, who I also know from Northwest Quilters. We all shared the big quilt, and Bill and I enjoyed a couple cold beers and snacked on some delicious chicken salad and Southern pimento cheese. The meeting was mostly a big show and tell, and I took a few pictures.

I claimed a spot with my"Y2K" swimming T-shirt quilt as partygoers arrived
Bill Crane won one of the raffle prizes. 





It started getting dark toward the end, and my pictures didn't turn out as well, but there were still plenty of quilts I loved seeing. Here's one.


As the festivities drew to a close, the sky was getting darker and it was beginning to rain, so everyone packed up quickly and dispersed. It was fun, and I think everyone went home with a warm feeling and good memories of the annual picnic. I really enjoy this group. They've got a lot of enthusiasm, wonderful ideas, and I'm learning a lot by being part of the group. For more information about the Portland Modern Quilt Guild, check out their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment