Thursday, June 21, 2012

100% Double-Knit Polyester

Hexagon Diamond Tumbling Stars, c. 1970, Texas
Here's Quilt #3 from Deborah Ursell of San Antonio, Texas. It's a Hexagon Diamond Tumbling Stars with Diamond Paths, and it's 100% double-knit polyester! This quilt would be difficult to make with cotton, it's just mind boggling that anyone ever would've made it with stretchy, scratchy double-knit - and it's not wonky.


When I first saw the pictures of this quilt, I wasn't sure if I would be interested, but when Deborah said it was all double-knit, I wanted it- badly. One of the observations I've had about quilts of this period, 1970s roughly speaking, is they used traditional patterns a lot. But they were also using new materials, new color combinations, and they fearlessly combined prints and solids.



Interestingly, this quilt is machine quilted, and it really looks like the work of a very early long-arm machine. The quilt is huge, I can't imagine that it could've been done on a home sewing machine. There is variation in the quilting design- it looks almost like it was done with a template, but nowhere near as accurate as what we might see today. All part of its charm, I think.


So, that's all for the three quilts from Texas. Hope you enjoyed the show, and I hope my friends who are - ahem - afraid of double-knit will see the beauty in it. ;) That means you, Sandra!!

11 comments:

  1. Looks like I'm being called out-big time.

    It does looks pretty good in the large photo and I love tumbling block stars.
    But in the close-ups it is still a bit scary.
    Sorry, I'm just an 1800's gal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You don't have to touch. Just look! ;)

      Delete
    2. I'd respond but I might get myself in
      trouble ;-)

      Delete
  2. Believe it or not, I threw this quilt on the bed the other night, and it was warm and super comfy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the downfalls of polyester is that it doesn't breathe so people wearing the clothes got very warm. Imagine menopausal women in a polyester pantsuit. It's a horrifying thought.

      As a quilt, though, it could be used to advantage; especially on ones that would see alot of abuse. The fabric is tough as nails--not much you can do to harm it!

      Delete
  3. I think it is beautiful. I worked with polyester in the past and the quilts were warm. The main problem I had was with was with the baby quilts, if my baby laid on it directly their face would heat rash badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several double-knit baby quilts, and most are backed with super soft flannel.

      Delete
  4. When you say "new materials" I hope you mean new material in that double knit was a newly manufactured fabric (new to the sewing/garment industry). I would speculate that most of these are scraps from garment sewing and there might be a little buying of new fabric to augment (like the white) the overall design.
    I doubt anyone went out and bought double knit to make a quilt. They usually bought a polyester/cotton blend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, new means that it was a newly manufactured material in the era when the quilt was made. I believe polyester was invented in the early 1950s, so in 1970 it was still a fairly new type of fabric.

      Delete
  5. The things we can do with plastic! I imagine that quilt would be invaluable in the wintertime!

    ReplyDelete