Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pressed Penny Collection

I started my first Penny Passport over ten years ago and completed it today
Collectors tend to specialize, but we don't always limit ourselves to collecting one thing. I collect quilts, but I have several other little collections. One of those is my Penny Passport full of pressed pennies from all across the U.S.

From Honolulu, 2002
I started collecting flattened pennies over ten years ago, when I stumbled across my first penny machine. A few years later, I'd acquired a few others and learned there was a Penny Passport sleeve available for storing the pressed pennies. Each penny is embossed with a design commemorating the place where the penny machine is located.

Today, I completed my first Penny Passport when I got eight pennies from the Tillamook Creamery. My little collection now includes pressed pennies from Hawaii, Detroit, Las Vegas, Orlando, San Diego, Seattle and Oregon.

From Las Vegas, 2006
Time to get a new Penny Passport. I've discovered a web site with a list of all the penny machines. It's called Penny Collector. Check it out at www.pennycollector.com.

14 comments:

  1. My brother collected those when we were kids...wonder what ever happened to them. He is not nearly as organized as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son collects them as wel1 which means you can find me at penny presses bringing home pennies to my grown son!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have a small collection too!!! they are in a little container on my dresser...thanks for the link to the locator!

    i need to get a book to put them in...i was going to drill a hole thru them and sew them to a small quilt....

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Passport book is cool. It holds 36, as you can see, and it has a passport design on the cover. I have 38 pennies now. One of those is a penny I found just last night in a jar full of odd objects. I'm not sure where it's from because it slipped in the machine and only half of it is stamped. Possibly from the Jersey shore or one of the rest stops along the Turnpike or Parkway. The mystery penny may actually be the first one I ever got, probably some time in the mid to late 1990s. It has a "777" on it and "Lucky" - so it's a gambling theme. Maybe Atlantic City...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have been collecting them for years.
    My first is a mummy in a curiosity shop in Seattle, about 15 years ago.
    How fun, I have to check out the website!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have two you can have. Las Vegas and San Diego. Let me know.
    Too bad they don't have dates, probably 20 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes please, Lynn!!

    Barb- I have some from the curiosity shop in Seattle, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember getting those when we were kids in Seattle. I never kept them.....dang! I also had several that we made on the railroad tracks near us.....we'd get all excited when we knew the train was coming, race to put a few pennies on the track, then hunker down in the ditch until it passed! What fun! Of course, my mother would probably have a fit to think we were that close to the trains! My brother was about 10 and I was 7!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I collect those too, here in the UK . I have about 15 as the machines are not particularly common here. I intend to display them in a box frame eventually. Would you fancy doing swops in the future? email me if so and we can sort something out. lynn.walker@fsmail.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Next time I come across a machine, I'll get extras. Would be fun to swap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know people collected these! I saw a penny machine when we visited Niagara Falls last summer and if I had known they were popular, I would have done one. What a great idea for future trips! Where do you get the passport books?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Vivian, I got my Penny Passport at Multnomah Falls, where they have a machine. You can probably find it where the machines are, or online.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea for a collection. I've seen the pennies and penny machines but had no idea anyone had a collection for them. We always learn something new!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pressed Pennies takes you on a rollercoaster ride of love--from first to last, and everything in between.

    ReplyDelete